Chicken, Avocado and Mango Daikon Rolls
My inspiration for this recipe came from Marks and Spencers and their Mooli Wraps which although delicious are small, expensive and can hardly classify as a filling snack let alone meal. I had always been tempted to recreate the rolls at home but was never quite sure what Mooli was or where exactly I could find it.
I present to you the Mooli, or Daikon Radish as its commonly called in North America. Mooli is a giant white radish from Asia which is often used in Japanese and Chinese cooking (I recognized it as the white, crunchy strings sashimi is often served on). Nutritionally its very low in calories, 18 calories per 100 grams (only 4 more calories then lettuce) but it provides 27% of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin C. It is crunchy in texture and has a spiciness in flavour which is much milder than other varieties of radish.
I thought it would be hard to find and was shocked to discover the giant turnip which I had never given a second thought to and my local vegetable stand was in fact a Daikon Radish.
These grain-free, dairy-free rolls are incredibly fast and easy to make, can be prepared a day ahead and are perfect served as an appetizer, snack or light lunch.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients, I think prawns, beef or even salmon would also make great fillings. Personally I love the flavours of sweet mango, salty nuts, creamy avocado, crunchy cucumber and shredded chicken combined in these rolls.
Daikon Radishes make for fantastic wraps as they don’t get soggy or lose their shape so you can pack the rolls full of ingredients and they won’t fall apart in your hands, even a day after making them.
I made a sauce which closely resembles a peanut satay for serving with the rolls. You can spread the sauce on the filling before rolling it up, pour a small amount on top of the rolls (as seen in the top photo) or serve the rolls alongside a bowl of the sauce for dipping.
These rolls are a perfect summertime appetizer, fresh, light and healthy they will be a big hit at your next barbecue. Happy rolling!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Chicken, Avocado and Mango RollsLeave a Review »
For the Rolls
- 1 Daikon Radish
- 1/2 cup shredded chicken
- 1/2 cucumber cut into thin strips
- 1 Mango cut into thin strips
- 1/2 red onion cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 avocado cut into thin strips
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped cashews or almonds
For the Sauce
- 3 tbsp almond butter or cashew butter
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- To make the sauce, place all of the ingredients listed above in a blender and pulse until well combined. You may want to add more orange juice depending on desired consistency. This sauce can be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in a sealed container in the fridge. Place in the fridge while you prepare the rolls.
- Wash the Daikon Radish and peel the outer skin off using a vegetable peeler
- Using a cheese slicer (or mandoline) cut thin strips running all the way down the length of the radish. After a few slices, flip the radish over and continue slicing on the other side Depending on the length of the Daikon each strip should make two rolls
- To assemble the rolls, lay one strip of the radish on a board with the wider end facing you. Place a piece of chicken, mango, cucumber, red onion, avocado, a sprinkle of cilantro and chopped nuts on the wrap and then roll everything up ensuring you press down and keep the rolls tight. Repeat with the remaining rolls
- Before serving the rolls sprinkle them with chopped cilantro and chopped nuts and serve alongside the dipping sauce. Enjoy!