Pulled Brisket Sliders
I am sooo excited to share this recipe with you guys. This brisket is RIDICULOUS! There is something about a piece of meat cooked so long that it literally falls apart with a fork, that makes me weak at the knees.
So let me break this down for you. First off is the brisket, which is cooked for 8 hours in the slow cooker in a spicy chipotle and tomato sauce. It becomes insanely tender and falls apart at the touch of a fork. The sauce is spicy with a combination of tomatoes, chipotle peppers, cumin, smoked paprika and coriander and its sooo flavourful. Alternatively you can cook the brisket in the oven for 7 to 8 hours at 150 degrees Celsius (300 degrees Fahrenheit).
After 8 hours the brisket is shredded into small pieces and then served on top of a grilled slice of butternut squash, with creamy coleslaw and a pickle. I love using butternut squash as a base for dishes like this, because it adds great flavour and is sturdy enough to hold the ingredients when picked up with one hand.
I served these sliders to friends one night, and then had a deconstructed version of the recipe for dinner the following night.
If you aren’t a fan of sliders you can serve the shredded brisket with a side of oven roasted cubed butternut squash, coleslaw and pickles as a main course.
The deconstructed version would be a great casual dinner to serve to friends. No matter which way you enjoy this, the flavours are sooooo good that I guarantee everyone will love it.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Pulled Brisket Sliders
- 700 g brisket
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2-3 chipotle peppers soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and then roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large medjool date
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 to 4 Pickles sliced
- Put the oil in a pot on high heat and sear the brisket for approximately 3 minutes per side until browned. Once seared on all sides remove from the pot and place in the slow cooker.
- Lower the heat on the stove to medium and add the garlic and onion. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding in the the tomatoes, chopped chipotles, date and vinegar. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes before adding in the cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika and beef stock. Transfer to a blender and blend for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the brisket in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for approximately 9 hours on low heat.
- Once the brisket is done, remove from the slow cooker. Transfer the liquid from the pot into a blender and blend until smooth. Using 2 forks shred the brisket into pieces and then spoon the sauce over top and toss to coat.
- To prepare the coleslaw add the shredded cabbage, carrots and red onion to a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the vinegar, salt and pepper, mustard and mayonnaise. Toss the slaw with the dressing before serving.
- To prepare the butternut squash rounds, cut the peeled squash into approximately ½ inch thick rounds. Lightly brush the circles with olive oil. Heat a grill to medium high heat and grill the butternut squash for approximately 3-4 minutes per side until grill marks appear and the squash is slightly tender. Alternatively turn on the oven to 200 degrees celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit) and lay the slices on a baking sheet, bake them for 20 minutes, flipping half way through cooking to ensure both sides are golden in colour.
- To assemble the sliders, top each butternut squash round with the shredded brisket, coleslaw and a slice of pickle.