Savoury Breakfast Porridge with Bacon & Mushrooms
I’ve been seeing savoury porridge recipes popping up on Instagram and in magazines everywhere over the past few months. Most use oats or quinoa as the base, so I turned to my favourite vegetable to make a grain free version.
I first used cauliflower rice as a base for porridge in this Apple and Cinnamon Porridge recipe, and I was amazed at how much the texture resembled that of creamy porridge. So if cauliflower rice and a bit of honey can make a delicious sweet porridge, of course I was going to use it for a savoury version as well.
In this recipe cauliflower rice is cooked in a combination of chicken stock and almond milk until it get a deliciously creamy consistency and then its mixed with sautéed mushrooms, onion, spinach and bacon and topped with an egg.
This dish could just as easily be eaten for dinner as it can for breakfast. A good time saving hack is to make a big batch of the porridge, and then enjoy it for breakfast throughout the week by heating portions up and topping it with an egg.
There is really no right or wrong way to make this recipe. You can swap the spinach for kale, add in some sausage or other veggies and prepare the egg how ever you prefer, poached, fried or over easy, they all work!
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Savoury Breakfast Porridge with Bacon & MushroomsLeave a Review »
- 200 grams bacon or pancetta, diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cups mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2/3 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Cook the bacon in a skillet on medium heat until crisp. Once cooked, transfer to a plate.
- Add the garlic, onion and mushrooms to the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for approximately 5 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and the onions are translucent. Transfer to the plate with the bacon.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the skillet and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until the rice begins to turn golden in colour then pour in the almond milk and chicken stock. Let simmer for about 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and then stir in the spinach and plate of cooked mushroom and bacon. Divide the mixture between 3 bowls
- To make the eggs, heat the olive oil in a skillet. Make sure its enough oil to evenly coat the skillet. Once the oil is hot, crack the eggs into the pan making sure they are far enough apart not to touch. Cover the skillet with a lid and let cook for 2 minutes until the whites have set but the yolks should still be runny. Transfer the eggs onto each bowl of porridge and sprinkle with parsley before serving.