Apple Cinnamon Pancakes Topped with Stewed Apples
These Paleo Apple Pancakes are loaded with cinnamon and nutmeg plus lots of shredded apple and then topped with stewed apples. These pancakes are easy to make and such a great autumn breakfast. They are Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I have to be honest, when it comes to pancakes; it’s the toppings that will always be the decision maker for me.
Apple cinnamon pancakes…sounds good. Topped with warm stewed apples in a caramelize cinnamon and honey sauce….ya I’m sold!
Which is not to say that these paleo apple pancakes aren’t delicious on their own, because they are really good. They are light and fluffy with lots of shredded apple stirred into the batter along with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves (which is my new favourite spice).
To save time you could make the stewed apple portion of this recipe a day or two in advance and then just reheat them right before serving. Alternatively if you have leftovers, these stewed apples would be fantastic on this Grain Free Apple Cinnamon Porridge (can you tell I am really into Apple Cinnamon flavoured breakfasts?)
I have to confess that I am not a fan of pancake stacks, I prefer to eat them one at a time to maximize the syrup and topping to pancake ratio.
I normally top my pancakes with honey because maple syrup isn’t allowed on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet but for this recipe I think syrup or honey is completely unnecessary. The stewed apples have a delicious caramelized sauce that creates those drool worthy trickles down the side of the pancakes that you normally get from syrup.
Love these Paleo Apple Pancakes? Here are a few other pancake and waffle recipes that you will enjoy:
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Stewed Apple Topping
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 apples peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water or apple juice
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, honey, vanilla extract and almond milk. Add in the baking soda,cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and stir.
- Stir in the flours and mix until well combined, make sure that there are no clumps before adding the shredded apple.
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, pour in approximately 2 tbsp sized amounts of batter to form the pancakes. Use a spatula to form the pancakes into circular shapes and let cook for about 4 minutes until the pancake is golden and bubbles begin to form on the surface. Flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes in a big stack topped with the stewed apples.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Add in the chopped apples and stir to coat.
- Add the honey, cinnamon and liquid (either water or apple juice) and let simmer on low heat for approximately 5 minutes until the apples are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.