Beef Taco Soup
This hearty Whole30 Beef Taco Soup is a cross between a chunky soup and chili. It’s packed with veggies and ground beef in a richly spiced broth. This is a great soup to batch cook and freeze for quick meals during the winter, and best of all it takes just 30 minutes to make. This recipe is Paleo, Whole30, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
Why you are going to love this Beef Taco Soup
- The Spices: The combination of spices in this soup give it a wonderful depth of flavour. If you are a fan of Mexican dishes I think you will love this soup.
- It’s a 30-minute meal: This is such a great weeknight comforting meal because start to finish it takes just 30 minutes!
- It’s hearty: This filling soup is a cross between a chunky soup and a chili. By adding more or less beef stock you can control the thickness of the soup to your liking.
- It’s freezer friendly: This soup freezes really well, so make a double batch so you have enough to freeze for later. This Beef Taco Soup will last for up to 3 months in the freezer
- It’s healthy: This soup is Paleo, Whole30, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
What you need to make this Whole30 Beef Taco Soup
Although the ingredient list for this soup might seem lengthy, a lot of the ingredients listed are spices which help to give the soup a rich spicy flavour.
The base of this soup is made with veggies and ground beef which gives the soup a nice chunkiness, it includes:
- Green and red bell pepper
- Ground beef
Once the veggies have softened and the meat begins to brown, the seasoning is added. Then comes all of the spices:
- Chili Powder
Once that is all well mixed together, the final three ingredients are added in before everything is left to simmer. These three ingredients create the “soupiness” and they are:
- Tomato Paste
- Beef Stock
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Avocado or guacamole
- Chopped scallions
- Sliced jalapenos
- Roughly chopped tomatoes
- Grated cheddar or sour cream (for those not on a dairy free diet)
Ways to modify this Whole30 Beef Taco Soup:
- Swap the meat: I love using ground beef in this recipe, but ground chicken or turkey would work well too and would also help to reduce the calories and fat per serving.
- Up the spice: If you are a fan of spicy food, feel free to add another jalapeno and increase the chili powder by a teaspoon or more.
- Not a fan of spice? If you aren’t a fan of spicy food, be sure to remove the seeds from the jalapeno pepper and reduce the amount of chili powder to 1/2 teaspoon or less, this will eliminate almost all of the spice from the soup
- Swap the stock: Chicken or vegetable stock can be used in place of beef stock
- Add more veggies: I kept the veggies in this soup rather basic, but feel free to add in cubed butternut squash or sweet potato, riced cauliflower, mushrooms or grated zucchini
Here are a few more hearty soups that you might enjoy…
- Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Turkey Mulligatawny Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Soup
- Thai Curry Noodle Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Beef Taco Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 cup beef stock
- sliced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- grated cheddar cheese (if not on a dairy free diet)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add in the diced onion and garlic and cook for approx 3 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add the ground beef to the pot, season with salt and use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into a fine crumbly consistency. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until most of the beef is no longer pink.
- Add in the diced jalapeno, and red and green peppers, give everything a stir and cook for 5 more minutes until the bell peppers begin to soften.
- Stir in the oregano, cumin, paprika, chili powder, coriander and tomato paste. Once the spices are all mixed through, add in the chopped tomatoes and beef stock, reduce the heat to medium and leave the soup to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Divide the soup between bowls and garnish with any toppings of choice including salsa, avocado or cilantro.
Omg I just made this for dinner tonight and it was beyond flavorful and delicious. I switched the beef for diced chicken breast as that’s all I had and it was amazing.
Thank you for sharing this recipe Carmen I give it 5 Stars ⭐️
💙 yum! Added cilantro, half a lime squeezed, 1 can of corn, and half jar of hot salsa to simmering pot. Family favorite 💙
Pingback: 15 Awesome Paleo Ground Beef Recipes To Try Today - Paleo By Maileo