Chicken & Cauliflower Rice Soup
This Whole30 Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup contains just 6-ingredients and takes less than 20 minutes to make. It’s the perfect soup to throw together when you are feeling under the weather, or in need of a comforting bowl of soup on a cold night. It’s Paleo, Whole30, Keto, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
This recipe is a grain free spin on a soup that my Mom used to make whenever I was sick. She normally added orzo pasta for substance, so in this healthier version I substituted the carbs for cauliflower rice, and I’m so happy with the result.
There are two ways to make this Whole30 Chicken and Rice Soup, the first way takes about an hour to prepare because the chicken broth is made from scratch. If you are short on time this soup can take as little as 10 minutes from start to finish, pretty impressive right?
For the quick method, simply use premade chicken broth and 2 cups of shredded chicken (rather then cooking chicken breasts in the broth) and voila, you have a delicious and satisfying soup in no time at all.
CAN I SWAP THE CAULIFLOWER RICE FOR PASTA?
Absolutely! As I mentioned, growing up my Mom always used to make me this soup using ravioli or orzo. I prefer this soup with very small pasta such as orzo, small macaroni, ditalini or stelline. Alternatively if you would like a more filling soup then you can add in small tortellini or ravioli. Grain or gluten free pasta would also work well in this recipe. If using pasta the only adjustment you would need to make to the below recipe is to extend the cook time in step 2 and cook the pasta until it is tender.
WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD TO THIS SOUP
Feel free to play around with the flavours by adding more lemon or black pepper. If you want to up your veggie intake you could also add in a few cups of spinach, shredded kale, asparagus or broccoli.
WHAT ABOUT LEFTOVERS?
This Whole30 Chicken and Rice Soup will last for a few days in the fridge, so you can make a batch and enjoy leftovers for lunch throughout the week. When I’m feeling under the weather I will live off this soup for days at a time, it’s just so comforting and delicious!
Here are a few more soups that you might enjoy:
- Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Turkey Mulligatawny Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Soup
- Thai Curry Noodle Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Chicken & Cauliflower Rice Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3 large eggs whisked
- 1 bunch scallions roughly chopped (should be approx 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Place the chicken broth in a large pot and bring to a gentle simmer before adding in the shredded chicken.*
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and pulse in a food processor until the cauliflower is broken into rice size. Don't overpulse, it should be rice sized but not finer and then add the cauliflower rice to the broth.
- Very slowly pour in the egg in a very thin drizzle, stirring the soup continuously with a whisk so that the egg breaks up as it hits the soup. Don't pour the egg in too quickly and be sure to keep whisking quickly or you will have clumps of scrambled egg in the soup.
- Stir in the scallions, lemon juice and black pepper. Taste the soup and adjust the flavours as needed before serving.