Chicken, Asparagus & Artichoke Piccata
This Paleo Chicken Piccata with Asparagus and Artichokes is a great one pan dish that takes just 30 minutes to make. The chicken is coated in a almond flour coating and served with a zesty lemon and caper sauce. This dish is Whole30, Paleo, Keto and Grain/Gluten Free.
I’m always looking for interesting new ways to cook plain old chicken breasts. The ideal dish will have lots of flavour, be easy to make (require less than 35 minutes) and taste good as leftovers. This chicken piccata ticks all of the boxes and then some.
Chicken Piccata is an Italian dish made with flour coated chicken breasts that are cooked until crisp and golden and then covered in a sauce of white wine, chicken stock, lemon juice and capers. In my healthier Paleo Chicken Piccata I used almond flour and added in artichoke hearts and asparagus for some vibrant colour and added vitamins.
If you are short on time you can use canned artichoke hearts, but as artichokes are currently in season I prefer to buy them fresh. If you can find small artichokes they are ideal, pull off approximately 2/3 of the outer leaves, peel the stem and then cut the top 1/2 of the flower off. Place the prepared artichokes facing down in a pot filled with 1 inch of water and simmer covered for 12 to 15 minutes. The artichokes are ready when the stems become tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
Depending on your taste, you may want to add more lemon juice for a zestier flavour, or more capers which add a delicious hit of saltiness. If you are a pescatarian, I think this dish would work just as well if you substituted the chicken for white fish (such as halibut or sea bass) or prawns.
Here are a few other one pan chicken recipes that you will love:
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Balsamic Chicken With Figs
- Garlic Mushroom & Bacon Chicken Thighs
- Coq No Vin
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Chicken, Asparagus & Artichoke Picatta
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 2 breasts, pounded thinly and cut in half)
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced.
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 6 small artichokes trimmed and steamed and then quartered or 1 can artichoke hearts
- 6 spears asparagus trimmed and halved
- Put the almond flour, salt and pepper on a plate and stir to mix. Dredge the chicken on both sides until evenly coated in the almond flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Cook the chicken breasts for approximately 4 minutes per side until golden in colour. Remove the chicken from the pan once cooked and set aside.
- Add the diced onion and garlic to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes until the garlic become fragrant and the onions slightly soften. Pour in the chicken stock, white wine vinegar and asparagus spears and cover to allow the sauce to simmer until it has reduced to about half and the asparagus has cooked. The asparagus should be tender but not mushy.
- Add in the lemon juice, capers and artichoke hearts and return the chicken to the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until everything is warmed through and then sprinkle with parsley before serving.