Spice Rubbed Chicken Drumsticks
These Spicy Chicken Drumsticks are easy to make and perfect for weeknight dinner. The drumsticks are coated in a blend of spices that creates the perfect balance of flavours that’s so tasty! They are oven baked until they form a delicious crispy skinned crust. These drumsticks are Paleo, Whole30, Keto, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Gluten Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
Getting bored of having the same chicken dishes over and over again? Truthfully I have been in a chicken rut for years now, 9 times out of 10 relying on the same chicken breast recipes and only switching to boneless skinless thighs when I’m feeling wild and crazy. What can I say, I really live life on the edge.
So this spicy chicken drumsticks recipe is completely outside my comfort zone, and I’m really not sure why!
If you are looking for an affordable cut of meat, it’s hard to beat the drumstick. The meat is incredibly flavourful thanks to the bone, and I find them very hard to overcook (is there anything worse than dry chicken).
Seeing as I am terrible at planning ahead, I decided to go with a spice rub for this recipe, rather than a marinade. With a simple selection of spices that can be found in most cupboards, this is an easy dish to prepare that’s perfect for mid week dinner.
I used coconut oil to help get the skin nice and crispy, but olive oil, melted ghee or butter would also do the trick.
I find that adding the spices half at a time ensures that they really stick to the chicken and don’t rub off onto the baking tray.
If you aren’t a fan of drumsticks, this rub would also work well on breasts, thighs or wings. I would recommend using chicken with the skin on because it makes the chicken so much more juicy and flavourful.
These spicy chicken drumsticks are a great recipe to make in a double batch and then use leftovers throughout the week in salads, packed lunches etc.
Here are a few more easy chicken recipes that you might enjoy:
- Sheet Pan Chicken with Balsamic Dijon Sauce & Winter Veggies
- Szechuan Chicken Thighs
- Harissa Baked Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Crispy Lemon & Herb Chicken with Fennel
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Spice Rubbed Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or ghee/butter)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (swap for 1 crushed clove garlic if SCD)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the chicken drumsticks out evenly on the baking sheet and brush each with the melted coconut oil.
- In a small bowl add all of the spices, salt and pepper and stir so that they are well combined.
- Sprinkle half of the spices evenly over the top of each of the drumsticks. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven, flip the drumsticks over, brush with coconut oil and sprinkle with the remaining spices. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- To crisp up the skin turn the oven to broil and cook the chicken for another 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the chicken with fresh parsley before serving. Enjoy!