Goat Cheese, Pesto & Sundried Tomato Tower
This Vegan Goat Cheese Ball is a showstopper. It is made with layers of “Goat Cheese,” pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes and tastes just like cheese. No one will know the difference! It can be made a few days in advance and is the perfect appetizer to impress guests. It is Vegan, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Gluten Free, and Specific Carbohydrate Legal.
This is my first foray into vegan cheese and I am absolutely blown away at how good it can be! Up to this point I was convinced that nut cheese was going to be a bland, gritty mixture that would taste nothing like creamy soft cheese.
This cashew based cheese is smooth and has a subtle goat cheese like tangy flavour. Although the cheese is fantastic on its own, when layered in this pesto and sundried tomato tower, it is out of this world delicious. I served this tower to a group of guys who all agreed that it was really good and no one could tell that it was made with nuts and not cheese.
You can prepare this Vegan Goat Cheese Tower a day in advance and leave it in the fridge to firm up. Before serving simply place a plate on top of the bowl and then flip.
I love serving this vegan cheese ball with salt and pepper crackers, but you could also enjoy it with carrots, sliced radishes and cucumber. If you are looking for an appetizer to serve to guests who are both a mix of vegan and meat eaters, this is a fantastic dish that everyone will enjoy.
Here are a few more Vegan appetizers you might enjoy:
- Vegan Beet & “Goat Cheese” Bites
- Dairy Free Tzatziki
- Roasted Red Pepper and Cashew Dip
- Butternut Squash Tots
- Eggplant Bruschetta
- Roasted Zucchini Hummus
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Vegan Goat Cheese, Pesto & Sundried Tomato Tower
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup basil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- To make the cheese, drain the cashews and place them in a food processor along with the clove of garlic, coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp of water. Add in the salt and pepper and continue to blend adding in the remaining water until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Remove the cashew cheese from the food processor and set aside.
- To make the pesto combine the basil, garlic, olive oil and salt in the food processor and blend.
- Line a bowl (approx 1 cup in size) with plastic wrap so that the wrap folds over all of the edges of the bowl.
- Spoon some of the cheese mixture into the bottom of the bowl to form a layer thats approximately 1 inch in thickness. Next spoon in an even layer of the pesto, you will likely only use approximately half of the amount made. Next top with the remaining cheese and spread evenly and then finely add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Put the bowl in the fridge for approximately 3 to 4 hours to become firm.
- When ready to serve place a serving plate upside down over the bowl and flip. Remove the bowl and gently peel off the plastic wrap. Place the pine nuts on top of the tower and serve with your favourite crackers.