Now that the weather is getting colder and the days shorter, I have been switching from fresh summer salads to comforting warm dishes each night for dinner. This creamy mushroom chicken could be one of my favourite comfort foods due to the crisp chicken thighs and heavenly creamy mushroom sauce.
Whenever I see the words creamy sauce, I immediately think high calorie and fat overload, but before you write this dish off as a dieters worst nightmare, let me explain. Yes the sauce is thick, creamy, rich and delicious, but it is also completely dairy free. A lot of paleo or dairy free creamy mushroom dishes use coconut cream, which is a great replacement for dairy, but is very high in fat (83g per cup!). To make this dish lighter without skipping on creamy flavour, I used just one quarter of a cup of soaked cashews blended in water to create an amazing creamy sauce with half the fat of a coconut cream based version.
I used chicken thighs because I love the extra flavour they add to recipes, but chicken breasts pounded lightly would also work really well. This entire dish can be prepared in just one pan in less then 30 minutes, make it an awesome addition to the weeknight dinner roster. If you want to cut corners then you can cook the chicken ahead of time and throw it in the sauce to heat up before serving.
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite1) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
- ¼ cup cashews soaked for minimum 4 hours
- ¼ cup water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Place the cashews and water in a blender and blend until the mixture becomes completely smooth like cream
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and dredge in the almond flour to evenly coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat and cook the chicken thighs for 4 to 5 minutes per side until golden in colour. Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and set aside.
- Cook the onion, garlic and mushrooms in the same skillet until the onions become translucent.
- Pour in the chicken broth and cashew cream stir until combined and then return the chicken thighs to the pan. Cover and allow everything to simmer for approximately 8 minutes until the sauce has thickened and reduced by approximately half.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.