Spiced Lamb & Lentil Stew
This hearty Lamb and Lentil Stew is packed with tender chunks of lamb, carrots, lentils and lots of rich Moroccan inspired spices. You can make this stew on the stovetop or in a slow cooker and it freezes well. This is a great hearty stew to enjoy during the cold winter months. This stew is Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
I have been incredibly lazy with weeknight dinners, heavily relying on containers of soups and stews found in the deepest and darkest corners of my freezer. This spicy lamb and lentil stew is one of my favourites, I made a large batch a few weeks ago and have been happily eating it at least twice a week since.
I love the rich flavours of this lamb and lentil stew. The combination of cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and ginger gives this dish a delicious earthy Moroccan flavour with hints of sweetness and spice. The meaty chunks of lamb are melt in your mouth tender while the red lentils thicken make the stew nice and thick. In this recipe the red lentils cook for the full 90 minutes so they are very mushy, if you prefer them to hold their shape then wait to add the lentils until the last 30 minutes of cooking.
I love topping this lamb and lentil stew with pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander, which adds freshness to this hearty dish. You can also top the stew with sour cream, yogurt (or SCD yogurt) for added creaminess.
Here are a few more hearty soups and stews that you might enjoy…
- Whole30 Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Turkey Mulligatawny Soup
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Brisket Chili
- Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Soup
- Thai Curry Noodle Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Spiced Lamb & Lentil Stew
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb cut into small cubes
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups lamb or chicken stock
- 1 1/3 cup red lentils thoroughly rinsed
- Options toppings - pomegranate seeds, cilantro or yogurt
- Heat oil in large pot over high heat, brown the cubed lamb on all sides. Once browned, add in the onion, garlic and chopped carrots and cook for approximately 5 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the spices and ginger and stir to combine with the mixture. Pour in the stock, diced tomatoes and lentils and simmer covered on low heat for an hour and a half.
- After 90 minutes the lamb should be tender. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with fresh cilantro, pomegranate seeds and sour cream.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Turn the slow cooker on saute/sear. Heat the oil and brown the cubed lamb on all sides. Once browned, add in the onion, garlic and chopped carrots and cook for approximately 5 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the spices and ginger and stir to combine with the mixture. Pour in the stock, diced tomatoes and lentils and leave to cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 3 hours.
- The stew is done when the lamb is tender. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with fresh cilantro, pomegranate seeds and sour cream.