Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein
This Whole30 Chow Mein is the perfect dish to make when you are craving takeout. It’s made with spaghetti squash in place of noodles and is packed with shredded chicken, cabbage and carrots. You can easily make this Vegan by swapping the chicken for sautéed shiitake mushrooms. This spaghetti squash chow mein is Paleo, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Whole30 and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal
I used to have a weakness for really greasy and packed with MSG Chinese Food. SA tells a story about our first date, when I (always the graceful one) had chow mein noodles hanging out of my mouth, it will haunt me until the day I die. It was always sooo good at the time (usually eaten post midnight) but then I would feel sick and sluggish for days after, talk about a food hangover.
I am so excited about this Whole30 chow mein. I experimented with 3 different types of noodles, zucchini, butternut squash and carrot, but finally settled on spaghetti squash, which had the closest texture to traditional chow mein noodles.
Although roasting the spaghetti squash takes a bit of time, the rest of the recipe comes together in just 15 minutes. To make this dish weeknight dinner friendly, you could roast the squash 1 -2 days in advance, I find that the texture or flavour of the spaghetti doesn’t change when left in the fridge for a few days.
I used shredded chicken in this recipe, but you can easily make this dish vegetarian or vegan by swapping the meat for sliced shiitake mushrooms, broccolini or red peppers.
I really think you guys are going to love this spaghetti squash chow mein. It’s packed with all of the ginger, soy and garlic flavour of chow mein, has a very similar texture, but is so much lighter! You get all of the same satisfaction as eating a traditional chow mein, but without that heavy food hangover feeling.
Looking for other takeout fakeout recipes…
- Black Pepper Chicken
- Szechuan Pork & Green Bean Stir Fry
- Thai Basil Beef
- Sweet & Sour Pork
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Kung Pao Cauliflower
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Spaghetti Squash Chicken Chow Mein
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 large carrot julienned
- 3 cups chinese cabbage napa cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 cup green onions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or tamari/soy sauce)
- 1 tsp honey (omit for Whole30)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and stringy middle bit. Rub the 1 tsp olive oil over the inside of each of the squash halves and then place them on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes until the center of the squash is tender.
- Remove the squash from the oven and using a fork, scrape out of the inside of the squash horizontally to get strands of "spaghetti"
- Heat 1tbsp sesame oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add in the crushed garlic and finely chopped onion and sauté until the onion has softened. Add in the ginger, carrot and cabbage and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes unit the carrots are tender and the cabbage has wilted.**
- In a sauce pan combine all of the ingredients for the sauce and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let is simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the spaghetti squash, spring onions and shredded chicken to the large pan with the sautéed vegetables. Pour over the sauce and stir until well combined. Garnish with a sprinkle of green onions before serving. Enjoy!