Spicy Orange Chicken
This Paleo Orange Chicken is a healthy spin on the classic Chinese takeout dish. Seared cubes of chicken are coated in a delicious sticky sauce that has a kick of spice and bold orange flavour. This is a great 30-minute dish for weeknight dinner. This recipe is Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free and Specific Carbohydrate Diet Legal.
Orange chicken was always my favourite dish to order at Chinese restaurants when I was growing up. There was something about the crispy pieces of chicken smothered in that slightly sweet and sticky sauce that had me going back for seconds and thirds. Luckily back then words like MSG were still a foreign concept.
15 years later I have finally created a healthy spin on my favourite Chinese takeout dish and I wish it hadn’t taken me so long!
Not only is this Paleo Orange Chicken incredibly tasty, it also takes just 20 minutes to make! It is perfect for a fast and easy weeknight dinner.
I prefer to use chicken thighs for this kind of dish because the meat has more flavour, but chicken breasts would also work too. I would recommend serving this paleo orange chicken with a side of cauliflower rice to soak up all of the delicious sauce because you aren’t going to want to let any of that go to waste. I have been enjoying this chicken as leftovers throughout the week and the sauce seems to only get thicker and more flavourful the longer is sits in the fridge.
Looking for other takeout fake out recipes:
- Black Pepper Chicken
- Moo Shu Pork
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Thai Basil Beef
- Sweet & Sour Pork
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Kung Pao Cauliflower
If you make this recipe let me know in the comment section below, I would love to hear what you think or take a photo and tag me (@everylastbite_) on Instagram, I love seeing your photos!
Spicy Orange Chicken
For The Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or tamari/soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chili flakes
For The Chicken
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Heat the sesame oil In a sauce pan. Once hot add in the onion and saute for 3 minutes before adding in the garlic and ginger and cooking for 1 minute until it becomes fragrant. combine all of the remaining ingredients for the sauce and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let the sauce simmer for approximately 10 minutes until it has reduced by 1/2 and has thickened.
- Meanwhile cut the chicken thighs into bite sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat the sesame oil in a skillet on medium high heat and cook the chicken for approximately 6 minutes until its golden in colour.
- Once the chicken is golden and cooked through, pour the sauce over top and stir so that it is well coated.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the green onions and sesame seeds before serving. This chicken is fantastic served on cauliflower rice.